While, I believe there’s a combination of reasons below, I’d be interested to hear some additional opinions on this subject.
Also, do you see any trends occurring to close this gap?
– Not enough employers hiring entry level
– Not enough grads coming out
– Not enough interest in CS/IS as a subject
– High learning curve associated – easier subjects to study
– Higher stress is not worth the pay
– Existing developers moving into management (or other field)
Doing a quick check on LinkedIn and LinkedIn Recruiter:
~12,304 open U.S. Salesforce Developer positions*
~2,000 U.S. Salesforce Developers “Open to work”**
* Of the 12,304, maybe 10% would be willing to sponsor
** Of the ~2,000, maybe 10% are eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
Equating to ~11,000 open positions who will not sponsor, and ~200 who can fill those (all things being equal and taking a SWAG, based on my experience).