If you’ve had an interview, how are you following up?
While I don’t believe there’s one approach that trumps them all, here’s 1 suggestion:
1. Within 24 hours of the interview, thanking them for their time.
2. Within 1 week to ask if any decisions have been made and if there are any additional questions or misunderstandings you could address.
3. Within 2 weeks if #2 above was not addressed.
<If you did not get the position, there may still be some potential, don’t give up…>
4. After hearing they decided on another candidate, follow up within 2 weeks of hearing that message, as that candidate may have fell through.
5. If the position was confirmed to be filled, follow up 30-45 days after hearing that message as there are times when things didn’t work out as intended.
6. 90-120 days after #5, stay connected as there could have been other changes internally, another position opening up, etc.
7. Semi-annually to continue to build the relationship, regardless of what your current situation is (landed something else, etc.), you’ve made that connection, stay in touch.
With following up, the intent is to build, maintain, nurture and stay top of mind, while also differentiating yourself from others.