Have you thought about independent consulting and not sure where to start?
Particularly when it comes to the legal/operational/tax stuff.
The book below really helped me about 12+ years ago.
A combination of books, mentors, and various accountants who I paid for consultation got me there.
I think once you get set up and “prime the pump”, it becomes pretty easy to manage.
Some items off the cuff:
- Entity Name
- Federal Tax ID/W-9
- Insurance (Errors & Omissions, General Liability – I used Hartford, Health, Dental, etc.)
- Articles of Organization/Incorporation
- Company Bank Account (I used B of A, which offers free Payroll via Intuit)
- QuickBooks or software for invoicing & collections
- Solo 401k (I used Vanguard)
- Accountant who specializes in small businesses/solo LLC’s
Any others for those who have been working for themselves for awhile?